Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Email From New Town North Dakota


His new address:  Elder Christopher Esplin

                            PO Box 1336
                            New Town ND 58763




Christopher wrote a real live letter to us too.  He is so funny.  He included so much more info in the letter than the email.  I will summarize the letter first.
They are living on the rez.  New Town is the center for the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation.  This from Wikipedia "The Fort Berthold Indian Reservation is a U.S. Indian reservation in North Dakota that is home for the Three Affiliated Tribes, which consists of the MandanArikara, and Hidatsa peoples."  His new companion is Elder Holms.  He is from southern California.  They live in a trailer about 50 feet from the church.  They have to sign up to receive commodities from the federal government.  They are going to get government cheese. 


Christopher also sent us a package with some boots in it.  There are some cowboy boots and winter boots in it that he did not have room for.  When the weather gets cold again I will have to send him a bunch of stuff back.  I think he is doing well.        


  We have a branch and the nearest missionaries are about 70 odd miles away in Williston and there are 2 sets of missionaries in Minot.  My branch just got bigger and we go all the way to the Canadian border and we have like 6 active members, but we are getting more because there is oil in North Dakota and there are a lot of Mormons that work oil.  I think I will work oil when I get home.  My last comp was from Vernal and he worked oil.  I think the job for me is fracking, (That is short for hydraulic fracturing) It is when they finish a well and take the rig down and pump all the mud out.  All I have to do is check gauges every hour and make sure that the well isn't pumping oil all over the ground. I think I will do that until I go to school but I am not really worrying about it now.
       My comp is pretty cool he is from so. cal. Santi-Sento.  He is double jointed so he can lay his fingers flat on the back of his hand.  It is pretty crazy.  I am living in a trailer on the rez like 50 feet from the church and we walk everywhere.  We only have 900 miles and we go over just going to zone conference and district meeting so we have bridge calls for district meeting.  It is kind of crazy.
        I don't really care if you send me a bunch of music.  What I want now is talks or books on cd or tape.  We found a old tape player in the trailer and I got it working.  So that was pretty fun. 

        Well not much else to say.  I don't really know what to do with the lambs.  (We have several lambs that are not big enough for the fair)  Maybe next year take them to John's and only leave them there for about three days.  That way you will only have big lambs and if they don't get bred you don't have to feed a bunch of lambs that are to small.  Just make a calender and stick with it.  If the sheep are too small or not born early enough then just kill them run the farm like a business.  Maybe don't kill them but separate them and raise them for the family to eat and don't feed them as good. I might try to raise lambs when I get home if i dont go to the oil field.  But I don't really know right now.  Well, I got to go.  Love, Elder Esplin


Then this is one he sent to his dad.  
I dont know if I replied to this one or not but I am now.  I am so grateful that you are my dad and that you raised me the way you did.  I just want to bare my testimony to you that I know this church is true and that the Book of Mormon is true and that most importantly Jesus is the Christ and he took upon himself all of our sins and that He
made it possible for us to return to our Heavenly Father, who loves us so much.  In the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment